Monday 8 February 2010

Millenium Dome - The Body Exhibit

When the Millenium Dome was first opened, they had a massive installation that lead people around the various parts of the body. I had the misfortune of not getting a chance to visit it at the time, but I have tried searching for images of this exhibit.

There are very few images on the internet that give a clear example of what it was like inside, so I might have to do some more digging, in order to make this research more helpful.

However I found this image of the inside of the skull. I think it is a rather interesting perception of how the brain works. As you can see, it has a slight theatrical atmosphere and decor, hence the red velvety curtains stretched across the windows where the eyes and nose are suggested to be. There are several brains watching (and laughing, according to one site's retelling) a brain wearing a fez. The main hat-wearing brain appears to be entertaining the others with jokes.

I'm not sure whether I find this research altogether helpful for us, since this seems to be a more silly and slightly unnerving representation of how the brain works. However, I find it rather interesting. I'm glad I did look into this more.

I find it more impressive that a large representation of the human body was made for people to look around. It must have taken a lot of concept and development to complete successfully. I just wish I had been able to visit it back in 2000 now. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment